Senior Project Director, Government and Academic Research, GfK Custom Research, LLC, Palo Alto, CA or Chicago, IL
The Senior Project Director in the Government and Academic Research Business Unit at GfK Custom Research is a key position for assuring quality in our research projects, responsible for project management and working with our clients in conducting online survey research projects.
Description of the Position
The Senior Project Director will work extensively with clients in creating and implementing survey designs for online surveys, including assisting in sample planning, questionnaire design, data collection methodology, and ad hoc analyses to support quality assurance and data quality inspections. Clients are primarily subject matter experts and principal investigators from leading research universities and research centers who have successfully secured grants from Federal agencies or foundations for research with a public policy focus. For each study, the Senior Project Director will manage and coordinate tasks requiring the support of one or more research analysts, questionnaire programmers, sampling and weighting experts, and in some studies, advanced analytics experts.
Most studies will be done online using sample from KnowledgePanel®, our probability-based web-enabled panel. In addition, there will also be custom studies using alternative sampling and data collection methodologies, including the recruitment of custom panels using a combination of address-based samples and mixed-mode surveys using paper-and-pencil interviewing, telephone, and online data collection. The applicant will manage surveys that involve complex questionnaire designs, fresh cross-sectional samples, and longitudinal surveys. Familiarity with practices for maximizing response rates for longitudinal surveys is desirable.
Specific Competencies: Ideal and Required
For this particular position, the ideal candidate will have had experience in conducting surveys using discrete choice methodology, such as stated preference and conjoint surveys. The ideal candidate will have experience in testing and implementing survey questionnaires using discrete choice methodology. The candidate need not have specific expertise in designing discrete choice surveys. In addition, also ideal would be having experience in conducting cognitive interviews to support questionnaire development, as well as managing surveys that use telephone and mail modes of data collection to supplement online interviewing.
Applicants should also have specific competencies in these areas:
· Familiarity with the fundamental concepts of survey research such as basic questionnaire design, calculation of response rates, statistical weighting, documentation of survey processes, and analysis of survey data (such as for analysis of non-response ).
· Possess strong skills in analyzing, tabulating, processing, and documenting survey data using SAS and SPSS.
· Ability and experience in communicating directly with principal investigators on the progress of survey research studies and working closely with PIs in developing, proposing, and implementing solutions for survey project issues and problems.
· Ability and experience in working directly with, providing feedback to, and coaching of Research Analysts who perform supporting tasks on projects.
Education and Experience Requirements
The position requires 5 or more years of relevant professional experience in survey research project management. The position requires training in the quantitative social sciences such as: Survey Research, Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Economics or Market Research. M.A. or M.S. in social sciences required.
Location and Travel
· Position based in the Palo Alto, CA office but will consider applicants for the San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington, DC offices.
· Limited travel domestically as needed. “Out-of-town” travel not expected to exceed 10%.
Candidate Fit with Our Culture
· We are an innovative research firm known for providing our clients with high value added insights; we challenge the status quo with new approaches in sampling and data collection, and solutions that combine advanced analytics, unimpeachable data and industry insight. We are seeking candidates who have a passion for innovation in survey research.
· The candidate should have comfort in working and leading multiple projects at the same time. A Senior Project Director could manage ten or more studies simultaneously at various stages of development.
· Ability to collaborate with colleagues is very important – not just managers, but also with peers inside and outside the organization.
· We offer competitive compensation and benefits, and a culture that recognizes professional initiative and “self starters.”
GfK contact persons: Mike Dennis firstname.lastname@example.org and Randy Thomas Randall.email@example.com
Please send a cover letter of interest and CV.